Poll results: HDTV numbers, 360 owners are spoiled rotten
Last month (I know, we forgot about it) we ran a poll to determine if the claim that 90% of Xbox 360 owners either own an HDTV or plan to purchase one in the next six months held any water. Needless to say, we were skeptical... like astrology skeptical. But the results surprised us:
According to our highly scientific* poll, approximately 76% of the respondents fall into the aforementioned camp; it ain't 90%, but an impressive number nevertheless! Add in those who plan on getting one, just not in the next six months, and that number hits 94%. With margins of error, taking the winter solstice into account, and adjusting for leap year, those numbers almost line up with what Microsoft said. Could it be, are 360 owners spoiled rotten? Are that many of us playing Geometry Wars in 1080i (or 720p, we're flexible) 16x9 style?
*It's opposite day. Read: unscientific.
- Blazing Angels demo takes off (3/22/2006)
- Search and win an Xbox 360 (3/22/2006)
- MS responds to 360 firmware hack (3/22/2006)
- XBLA boss gets casual (3/22/2006)
- Burnout demo crashes? (3/22/2006)
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. joystiq and xbox360fanboy is read by videogame enthusiasts, of course they give all they got for the joy HD gaming. So how representative is this really...
Posted at 7:28AM on Mar 14th 2006 by DefJef 0 stars
It's a reasonable assumption that the large majority of eary adopting Xbox 360 owners are also videogame enthusiasts. Don't think there's many Grandma's importing Tetris on the thing. =)
Posted at 9:56AM on Mar 14th 2006 by C. Grant 0 stars
4. i agree that the 720p looks better than 1080i.
i cant wait untill i upgrade my hd lcd tv to a bigger one this summer. my xbox will be so happy!
Posted at 11:26AM on Mar 14th 2006 by nizzy1115 0 stars
5. I remember that poll; I was not planning on getting one in the next six months, but ended up getting a 51" Widescreen HDTV a couple of weeks ago because it was on sale.
I wouldn't say spoiled; we just like gaming.
Posted at 1:16PM on Mar 14th 2006 by SuicideNinja 2 stars
6. Here is an interesting link that may help some people with the 720p vs 1080i thing.
I run in 720p (not 540i)
Posted at 5:56PM on Mar 14th 2006 by Robotron 0 stars
Add your comments
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry: inappropriate or purely promotional comments may be removed. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use <p> or <br> tags.
1. For things like sports and games, 720p isactually better than 1080i because of it's higher temporal resolution. If you're still interested, listen to Major Nelson's podcast a few weeks ago with the HDTV guy, it was way detailed as to why.
Posted at 2:36AM on Mar 14th 2006 by Daniel 0 stars