Gather 'round, children, Mother Earth has a story for you at GreenDaily.com

X360F plays FEAR, needs new shorts

I managed to grab a copy of the latest OXM yesterday, containing the long awaited F.E.A.R. demo. Let's get one thing straight. I have never played F.E.A.R. My PC can run Diablo II and that's fine by me. As you can imagine, I was giddy when I found out about the 360 port of F.E.A.R., and, now that I've played the demo, I'm intrigued to say the least. The game will be instantly familiar to anyone who has played Monolith's other title for the 360, Condemned: Criminal Origins. The environments and the overall tension of the games are very similar. The difference here is that the enemies in F.E.A.R. are run of the mill soldiers -- which makes the appearance of The Ring-inspired Alma that much more frightening. The supernatural elements of the game feel immediately out of place, which intensifies the...um...fear of them.

The only concern I have is whether or not the gun battles will grow stale. That said, the story and horror elements present in the demo are more than enough to pique my interest. The demo is short and barely offers a taste of the action, but horror fans may just want to plunk down the cash for the latest OXM. We promise you at least one genuine scare.

Related Headlines

Reader Comments

(Page 1)

1. I'd just like to know if this demo is the same to the one that was on the PC. I dunno if there were multiple demos for the PC but it started with you driving in the car to someplace and you entered through the sewers or something...

Posted at 10:37AM on Aug 28th 2006 by Snuggles 420

2. Seems to be the same as the PC. I can perosonally verify that the begining is the same. But I stopped trying to get it to run on the PC, my machine is just way to slow.

Posted at 10:44AM on Aug 28th 2006 by brownc4

3. "The only concern I have is whether or not the gun battles will grow stale. "

I've beaten the PC version - no, they most certainly do not grow stale ;-) The variety of weapons and the stunning AI keep it fresh.

One of my all-time favorite games - can't wait for the 360 version.

Posted at 11:13AM on Aug 28th 2006 by intRvenous

4. "but horror fans may just want to plunk down the cash for the latest OXM"

How about you "plunk down the cash" for the yearly subscription....$25 a year versus $10 a mag when a new hot demo comes out.
The magazine isn't that bad and a lot of times I agree with their reviews.

Posted at 11:24AM on Aug 28th 2006 by KingOfGods

5. When will we see this pop on marketplace? I'm done buying OXM from the newsstand unless the disc is really good. I got burned buying last months with the Saint's Row demo when it appeared on Live the next day.

Posted at 11:53AM on Aug 28th 2006 by refinedsugar

6. OXM isn't really that great of a magazine. I guess it's somewhat appropriate if you only intend on playing Xbox/360. Demos are nice, but you might as well wait for them on XBL.

I'd rather subscribe to a more general console mag as the opinions are generally better since they seem to look at the bigger picture. And they generally tell the benefits of one console version over another.

I've been through NP, OXM, PSM, OPM, EGM, and Game Informer. We still have subscriptions on OXM, PSM, and EGM. The last is the only one I deem worth a subscription. The respective subscribers in my house won't be renewing the others.

Posted at 12:16PM on Aug 28th 2006 by SuicideNinja

7. I've played the PC version and the battles don't grow stale, but fighting in the same dark hallway/factory/industrial complex/office DOES get stale.

Posted at 3:32PM on Aug 28th 2006 by namepending

8. I played the demo on the 360. It was nice, but I don't know if it was just my copy, or my box, it was buggy as hell.

Did any one else have problems meleeing and shooting, like with large delay, or with the automatic rifle always firing wether or not you hit the right trigger?

Posted at 6:03PM on Aug 28th 2006 by XxT3CKxX

9. oxm is not a bad mag it is just the demo thing is stale because of xbl. the game ratings i almost always agree with they do need to figure out something new to put on the disc. but i like most people are probably buying alot less of them.

Posted at 6:32PM on Aug 28th 2006 by Dave

10. Played the PC version like..god.. seems like a year ago. The AI is a bit overrated. All they do is try to flank you, really. The weapons are okay. Standard shooter stuff. The horror bit is cool at first but gets old fast. And yeah, the office and crate filled warehouse interiors are pretty dull looking.
Bullet time action looks cool as hell though.
Don't know why anyone having played the PC version would want to drop 60 bucks on a console port.

Posted at 6:36PM on Aug 28th 2006 by Slybri

11. I picked up OXM today purely for the F.E.A.R. demo, and it was good. I've played through the entire game on the PC and there are some differences. First I felt the graphics weren't as good, probably because I played on my friends top of the line Alienware ALX and this is ony a demo. The controls were also a bit sloppy and kind of delayed, overall a good demo and I'm still very much looking forward to getting the game when it comes out.

Posted at 11:30PM on Aug 28th 2006 by StJlMMY

12. I liked condemned, maybe i'll like this too.

Almost a kind of Condemned meets Half Life kinda look to it :B

Posted at 5:23AM on Aug 29th 2006 by edhe

13. Honestly i own the PC version of F.E.A.R. and its graphics aren't anything special, and it does not take an Alienware computer to run them. My old computer was 2ghz with a cheap geforce 6800 vid card. F.E.A.R. ran easily at 30-60fps. This game is a gamble even for $30 in a bargain bin somewhere but $60?! No way. Basically, the physics are wack, graphics are dated, and all the levels are boring and uninteresting. Plus this game is totally NOT scary.

I somehow knew that when i bought a 360 i would be bombarded with bull$hit titles that were once on a PC and now were being ported to the 360 for the "nextgen" price of $60.

Posted at 4:43PM on Aug 29th 2006 by Ben Anderson

14. Also, for the record people, don't bother with the hidden game in the OXM Disk. It's just a really half-assed copy of Zone of Enders... talk about having a lousy roll-model.

A very typical effort by namco/bandai

Posted at 5:25PM on Aug 29th 2006 by aragorn

Check out all our Halo 3 beta news coverage
Bits
Cheats (9)
Console wars (216)
Contests and Giveaways (73)
Deals and Bargains (91)
Reviews (44)
Rumors (169)
Shipping this week (32)
Video Marketplace (31)
Videos (177)
Walkthroughs (3)
What are you playing? (44)
WMC (20)
Xbox Live (642)
Xbox Live Arcade (576)
Xbox Live Marketplace (653)
Titles
Amped 3 (6)
Assassin's Creed (29)
BioShock (71)
Burnout Revenge (8)
Call of Duty 2 (20)
Call of Duty 3 (10)
Command and Conquer 3 (25)
Condemned (15)
Crackdown (65)
Dead or Alive 4 (22)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (49)
Fable 2 (23)
FIFA Soccer 06 (5)
Fight Night Round 3 (5)
Final Fantasy XI (12)
Frame City Killer (2)
Full Auto (6)
Fuzion Frenzy 2 (9)
Gears of War (235)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (32)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (29)
Guitar Hero II (64)
GUN (4)
Halo 3 (548)
Kameo (14)
King Kong (8)
Lost Planet (29)
Madden NFL 06 (5)
Mass Effect (41)
NBA 2K6 (4)
NBA Live 06 (4)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (4)
NHL 2K6 (2)
Perfect Dark (18)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (24)
Quake 4 (6)
R* Games Presents: Table Tennis (9)
Ridge Racer 6 (7)
Rumble Roses XX (0)
Saints Row (10)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (19)
Street Trace (7)
The Darkness (21)
The Godfather (2)
The Outfit (4)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (3)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (4)
Too Human (20)

SSFIITHDR (XBLA)
Battlestar Galactica (XBLA)
Halo 3
Braid (XBLA)
Halo 3 McFarlane Figures
Ecco the Dolphin (XBLA)
Pirates Vs. Ninjas Dodgeball (XBLA)
X3F Meetup 08/08/07