List of Juicy GoW2 Details from X360 Magazine
- Ten person, 5v5 online multiplayer.
- Yes, Gears of War 2 will have a Halo-style matchmaking system.
- There will be respawning multiplayer modes, but the focus is still towards traditional non-respawn gaming.
- Multiplayer game modes:
- "Guardian" game mode: A remade version of Gears' Assassination game mode where the objective is still to kill the other team's leader, but players keep respawning as long as their leader is alive. Opponents' leader will be marked on the HUD to keep the game moving along.
- "Wingman" game mode: You and a buddy team up, sharing a single character model in this five teams of two game mode.
- "Meatflag" game mode: A CTF-style mode where the "flag" is actually an AI-controlled player who'll wander the map and attempt to kill anyone who gets near. To "capture" him, you'll have to first down, then escort him as a meatshield all the way back to your base, all while your opponents are trying to kill you and shoot at the "flag". Because, if shot at enough, your meatshield flag will break free, go berserk and deal out the pain. Respawning will be featured in this game mode as well as stats for the amount of kills the AI-controlled flag dished out
- Multiplayer maps:
- Around a dozen maps will be included on disc.
- "Gridlock": A remake of the Gridlock we've all come to know and love, but taken over by vegetation, old age and now featuring a beautiful sun-setting glow.
- "River": Symmetrical map featuring a house and a sniper tower separated by (you guessed it) a river.
- "Security": A long, thin map with "verandas" on each side that are sealed off by red laser bars. In the center of the map is a button to deactivate all the security for roughly 20 seconds.
- Fishing moves when an enemy is downed:
- "X" button: Traditional curb-stomp.
- "B" button: Melee attack that will be weapon specific. (Longshot sniper rifle will be used as a golf club of death.)
- "Y" button: Flips your opponent over and let's you punch in their face ... UFC style.
- "A" button: Use your enemy as a "meatshield" that limits your weapon choice to a pistol. And, yes, your meatshield can and will disintegrate in your arms after taking on enemy fire. If they don't get ripped apart, you can always dispense of your meatshield with a good old snap of the neck.
- Random weapon location respawns will be used, but only for certain weapons not including power weapons, pistols or grenades.
- All weapons have a variable amount of "stopping power" that'll slow down an opponent's running or diving abilities.
- Players will have the option of spawning with the chainsaw-equipped Lancer or the newly modified Locust Hammerburst.
- "Scorcher" weapon: A flamethrower that we're promised will produce some uber-realistic fire.
- "Medusa" weapon: A new Locust pistol that is said to be extremely powerful, pumping out five to six rounds per shot downing enemies in a few shots. Said to be the perfect compliment to a meatshielder.
- "Hammerburst" weapon: Changed a bit, now requiring players to pump the trigger as fast as possible (think Halo 3's Carbine). Though, recoil will increase the faster it's fired.
- Can be stuck to people, walls, the floor and any other surface to be used as a makeshift proximity mine.
- As before, players will spawn with one smoke grenade.
- Smoke grenade: Now carries a "stun" effect that "ragdolls any player within their blast radius".
- Poison gas grenade: Spews poison that will kill anyone who lingers in its poisonous cloud.
- Chainsaw Duels:
- Whoever does the quickest amount of "B" button tapping will be victorious.
- Your teammates can help give you an edge in the duel by shooting the opponent which will give you the upper hand on the "B" button mini-game.
- No duel will occur if a player is chainsawed from behind. Instead, the sexy "butt to head" chainsaw animation will kick in giving the attacker and instant kill.
- The cover system has been subtly reworked, where players' gun and body sit tighter to cover making it harder for your enemies to get an attacking angle.
- Bullet shields described as "metal bucklers" that can be carried as indestructible cover. The trade-off being that only a pistol can be wielded and movement is slowed dramatically. One benefit of the bullet shield is that it can be planted into the ground for mobile cover, though we're told enemies can kick it over if they get close enough.
- Once killed in a non-respawn game, players will enter a "dynamic battle-cam" that floats above the action.
- Also available (when dead) will be a Ghost Cam where players can view the action from the battlefield and take screenshots that can be uploaded online similar to Halo 3.
- Hammerhead Grunt Locust revealed and named as such because of his shark looking helmet.
- The GoW2 Collector's Edition may include a weathered looking Polaroid of Dom's wife, the same one seen at the beginning of the game.
- Development on Gears 2 is roughly at 65% complete.
- Don't count on Call of Duty 4 style XP or perks, Cliff says they will not be adding these types of character building elements to the Gears universe.
Reader Comments (Page 1 of 4)
5-24-2008 @ 12:02PM
wait! gridlock is a remake of gridlock! NO WAY!!!
btw, i'm being sarcastic
5-24-2008 @ 12:05PM
I dont think this is what this post refers to, but good stuff none the less. Page down for some nice scans
5-24-2008 @ 12:10PM
i was so looking forward to online XP and perks...
not to mention hopefully a lot more weapons, maps and modes as the first one was way too limited when put up against call of duty 4
5-24-2008 @ 12:15PM
Lord Bowser said...
I can see the man lust in his eyes.
5-24-2008 @ 12:18PM
I cant find the damn scans of the X360 mag. Anyone have them?
5-24-2008 @ 12:20PM
Dustin Burg said...
damn you copyright laws!
5-24-2008 @ 12:26PM
Poor quality camera phone pics but better than nothing.
5-24-2008 @ 12:19PM
I love fishing when my enemies are downed, hint, hint.
5-24-2008 @ 4:12PM
i hear the fish love a hot cup of tea.
5-24-2008 @ 12:26PM
well it looks like i started something with that UFC comment when the gamerscore blog first showed the multiple melee hits on a downed opponent.
Now where is my royalty check at?
UFC term claimed by MDK x2002x
5-24-2008 @ 12:27PM
I hope that if you are taken as a meat shield you are considered dead and can respawn. It won't matter in matches without respawning, but sitting their watching someone use you as a shield when you could be, I don't know, playing the game could get boring.
5-24-2008 @ 2:24PM
i'm sure on the last gow2 post they said that once you've been taken as a shield your put in the respawn queue, or the death cam so better than being dragged around
5-29-2008 @ 5:46PM
When you are used as a meatshield in multiplayer games where you can respawn you are instantly considered dead (as if you were stomped or chainsawed) and will respawn as such.
This was revealed in this month's EGM, as well as pictures of the new weapons and side by side comparisons of the new Gridlock to show what's changed (nothing much, it just looks better... not like the new Lockdown in Halo3, where they ruined it).
5-24-2008 @ 12:31PM
"# There will be respawning multiplayer modes, but the focus is still towards traditional non-respawn gaming."
Freaking sweet, I always thought that's what set the first Gears apart from a majority of other multiplayer shooters.
As long as they bring back Execution, everyone on my friends list will be happy. One of my favorite game-types ever!
5-24-2008 @ 1:39PM
Indeed. Execution > *
I imagine that all the new stuff (except maybe wingman which sounds sweet) will end up like Annex as something that people break out every once in a while to mess around with. Execution should remain the go-to gametype that people spend 90% of their time on.
Unless these new weapon specific executions screw it up by not leaving you a quick way to execute a downed opponent without entering some lengthy curb-stomp-like animation.
5-24-2008 @ 12:32PM
Yes, those fishing moves when an enemy is downed are sure fantastic.
You forgot the one where you drive up to your grandfather's cabin on the lake and take the canoe and a few rods and lures out though.
5-24-2008 @ 1:00PM
Oh god, not Halo 3 style matchmaking... Why can't I just choose my own map? and get suited with good people and bad people?
5-24-2008 @ 1:10PM
While i enjoyed that this way is better. Host shall be random so no more running into some "host whore" who does nothing but host and shotgun like mad.
You'll actually have a party system unlike gears 1 so no more having trouble playing with your friends.. I think this ways better.
5-24-2008 @ 1:19PM
I don't see why they can't just meet half-way. Use a party system, but let the party leader choose the match. That way you get to play what you want to play and there are still parties. To fix the host issue, don't let people host. Let them start a match lobby, once they begin the game the host is selected by who has the best connection in the lobby.
And if it is matchmaking, than just let players chose the map and game type they want to be matched into. Why can't I pick a matchmaking list in halo that is called Shotty Snipers. Instead I must pick Team Slayer and wait for Shotty Snipers to come up only to have it vetoed.
5-24-2008 @ 1:26PM
I'm sure there will be a Custom Games option like CoD4 and Halo.
Matchmaking is just the way to go on consoles.