Daily news about MMOs, come read Massively

First wave of Guitar Hero II songs rock Marketplace

3 sets of 3 songs from the original Guitar Hero have landed on Xbox Live Marketplace for GHII. Track Pack 1 has Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon", "Ace of Spades" by Motörhead, and The Exies' "Hey You". Pack numero dos is rockin' "Killer Queen" by Queen, The Donnas' "Take it Off", and "Frankenstein" by The Edward Winter Group. Finally, the third Pack gives you "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus' "Stellar", and "Infected" by Bad Religion.

Note that all of these songs are covers and not master tracks, like they were before. Each pack weighs in a 500 MS points. That means, at this price point, to get all 47 of the original Guitar Hero tracks, it would cost you roughly 7,850 MS Points or $98.09 USD. So, will you be picking up any of these packs, if so, which one?

Related Headlines

Reader Comments

(Page 3)

41. This would be less annoying if I could choose the individual songs I liked, although they'd probably make you pay more per song anyway..

While this should be only the beginning of the GH 1 tracks, I am a little concerned that none of the bonus tracks are around. I'd be disappointed to not be able to play some Graveyard BBQ, All of This, Even Rats, Guitar Hero and Sail Your Ship By.

Posted at 1:58PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Shockgamer

42. David Hall- Your math is wrong. Close though.

The songs cost too much. Frets on Fire.

Posted at 2:06PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Tim

43. I am not paying that price.

No way.

Lower the cost; I'll happily buy them all.

I was so looking forward to getting the original GH songs, but for this price? No thank you.

Posted at 2:06PM on Apr 11th 2007 by fragglefart

44. fu%cki*g hell, In the UK that works out to 4.50 pounds per song. 50 song = 200 wopping pounds!!!! are they fu"^%&^%g crazy. you can buy the game with controller (50 song) for 60 pounds!!!

I really hope that no one gives these money grabers a penny! (well i certainly wont)

Posted at 2:11PM on Apr 11th 2007 by notguiltystyle

45. Regarding microtransactions and DLC:

When will MS stop using their loyal consumer base as economic guinea pigs?

You can only rape a fanboy once, or maybe it's ten times... I forget. I think there's a pretty clear idea of what pricepoint/content value ratio is acceptable by now MS. Stop trying to make every penny you can and worry more about giving the consumer what they want for what they want to pay.

Believe it or not, you'll make more in the long run and expand your consumer base by offering content that is priced appropriately. This continued bilking of your core userbase is only gonna make Sony look less and less out of touch with the market by comparison, and limit the future viability of the marketplace.

You've got the best tool in the business for combating the used game market in the xbl marketplace- start using it as something other than a cash cow and it'll pay off in dividends over the long term.

Posted at 2:21PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Stranger

46. It's the Edgar Winter Group, not Edward. Just thought I'd be anal.

Posted at 2:35PM on Apr 11th 2007 by cooleo_no1

47. Petition to microsoft about unfair pricing of this content:

Please get as many people you know to sign this petition

Posted at 2:49PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Tj

48. One thing you guys should know is this - they added co-op tracks (like the bass line) to these GH1 songs. So it's not just downloads of the PS2 songs; there is additional stuff added to each song. This tempers the price slightly.

Posted at 3:10PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Sengoku

49. Yea, just look at it that way.. Sure it's about $2 for each song.. but you get at least two versions of it to play (Bass, rhythm, lead) those songs.. My only grip is that we're kinda at their mercy to choose which songs we want. The first pack was good, I DL that one, but the others weren't too appealing, give me QOTSA!!

Posted at 3:25PM on Apr 11th 2007 by DeadPlasmaCell

50. To #15: you obviously don't read the download information. There is NEVER any form of refund for any download. EVER. The only way you can get a refund from MS is if they double-bill you for something (which happens far too often). You pay $6.25 a pack, you're done. Even if they drop to free later (which of course they won't), you're still out $18.75. Do not buy this overpriced shit.

Posted at 3:32PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Eric

51. http://www.petitiononline.com/GHIIDLC/petition.html

a million sigs might stopthebuttrape. seriosuly MS, stop gaying up my gaming life. and im tired of hearing $50 a year gold live goes to maintenance fees and bandwith. if its so damn pricey why doesnt PS, PC, and Wii charge? $50/year times 6million+ is a lot of f***in money. hook it up fools.

Posted at 3:42PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Senor

52. Yay, more cover songs. There isnt even any achievement motivation for me to play these. You would think that if we paid this kind of price, we should get the originals.

Im already pi**ed I feel like I got a $30 game with my $60 guitar. I hope they go back to making a new Frequency/Amplitude. I liked the music better and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg to buy it.

Posted at 3:47PM on Apr 11th 2007 by FR3SH JIV3

53. I just want to re-stress that everyone should sign the online petition:

It's only been up a few hours but last time I checked it had 1100 signatures already! This worked for the BioShock limited edition, if we can generate big enough numbers this can work for the GH songs too. Remember, we're not just fighting for cheaper songs now, but for all the songs they release in the future.

Also, yes they retooled the songs to be compatible with GH2's newer features (co-op, triple fret cords, HOPO adjustments) but that is a justification for buying the songs in the first place. Not for upping the price to twice what they're really worth.

Posted at 3:48PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Techno-Kid

54. I gots several beefs with the new song packs:
1) The pricing was (I swear I read this somewhere) said to be "comparable to other downloadable content." I interpreted that to mean downloadable MUSIC, which as everyone knows is $0.99 by Royal Decree. Now I have seen one of their spokesfolks say that pricing would be comparable to a CD single -- do those even exist anymore? I bought cassettes back in the day, but I can't remember the last time I bought a CD single in a store.
2) The songs in the first wave are... riiiiiiight. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything to get all that excited about.
3) Maybe they didn't notice, but another camp hit the marketplace today. For less than the price of 6 of their songs, you can get an entire game with 10 new(ish) songs. I know, it's apples to oranges, but they're both sweet and fruity so close enough for me.

Posted at 3:50PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Jim Kane

55. I must admit I was psyched for the songs comming to the market place, but now, not so much. Theres no way in hell am I going to pay another $100 for songs just after I payed $100 for the game. I can take the 100 buy a secondhand ps2 and gh1, which at this point is seeming pretty damn tempting. As of late MS have been a pretty damn greedy bunch.

Posted at 3:52PM on Apr 11th 2007 by a1exander08

56. I'm a huge fan of the game and want these songs badly, but there's no way that I'm going to pay this much for these songs. I hope you other fanboys all speak with your wallets.

Posted at 4:04PM on Apr 11th 2007 by ericdrum

57. I'll buy these, am I the only one? I mean honestly those are the only songs from the Original game that I REALLY want. Ok, I'd also buy the pack with More than a Feeling, but that's just my song. Yeah!

Posted at 4:22PM on Apr 11th 2007 by RyanSeacrest

58. @57

Nah you're not the only one.. I bought the first pack. The price isn't too bad considering you get the updated song version that you can do co-op, etc with.. and they're not making you buy like 10 or 15 songs at a time or anything.. I'm just glad there is a choice here.

Posted at 4:36PM on Apr 11th 2007 by DeadPlasmaCell

59. It is an obscene price...I seem to remember them saying that songs would be priced comparably to other d/l services...what service charges 2 bucks a song?

Posted at 4:52PM on Apr 11th 2007 by Jedimonkey

60. Joystiq/360fanboy, please post that petition on the main page. these blogs are a large part of the gamer community, and surely you must agree that these prices are insane. the packs dont even make it better, if u dont like one song, its 250 pts a song, and if u only wanted incubus, then it costs you 500 ms points for just one song! and 500 for 3 points in disgusting enough already, how can all of the songs equate to more than the original price of guitar hero for the ps2? this is absolute crap, ive been waiting for these songs to come out for a while now and im still not going to buy them, my 360 that ive loved for so long has really let me down. its a small issue but it is a huge principle, i cant believe it.

Posted at 5:10PM on Apr 11th 2007 by JBob

Previous 20 Comments | Next 20 Comments
Check out all our Halo 3 beta news coverage
Bits
Cheats (9)
Console wars (213)
Contests and Giveaways (70)
Deals and Bargains (89)
Reviews (44)
Rumors (168)
Shipping this week (31)
Video Marketplace (31)
Videos (172)
Walkthroughs (3)
What are you playing? (43)
WMC (20)
Xbox Live (638)
Xbox Live Arcade (568)
Xbox Live Marketplace (647)
Titles
Amped 3 (6)
Assassin's Creed (26)
BioShock (69)
Burnout Revenge (8)
Call of Duty 2 (20)
Call of Duty 3 (10)
Command and Conquer 3 (25)
Condemned (15)
Crackdown (65)
Dead or Alive 4 (22)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (49)
Fable 2 (23)
FIFA Soccer 06 (5)
Fight Night Round 3 (5)
Final Fantasy XI (12)
Frame City Killer (2)
Full Auto (6)
Fuzion Frenzy 2 (9)
Gears of War (233)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (32)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (29)
Guitar Hero II (64)
GUN (4)
Halo 3 (543)
Kameo (14)
King Kong (8)
Lost Planet (28)
Madden NFL 06 (5)
Mass Effect (39)
NBA 2K6 (4)
NBA Live 06 (4)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (4)
NHL 2K6 (2)
Perfect Dark (18)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (24)
Quake 4 (6)
R* Games Presents: Table Tennis (9)
Ridge Racer 6 (7)
Rumble Roses XX (0)
Saints Row (10)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (19)
Street Trace (7)
The Darkness (21)
The Godfather (2)
The Outfit (4)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (3)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (4)
Too Human (20)

SSFIITHDR (XBLA)
Battlestar Galactica (XBLA)
Halo 3
Braid (XBLA)
Halo 3 McFarlane Figures
Ecco the Dolphin (XBLA)
Pirates Vs. Ninjas Dodgeball (XBLA)
X3F Meetup 08/08/07