GoW viral campaign on XBL?
An Xbox Live user by the name of MFenix (the main character in Gears of War is Marcus Fenix) is spamming confused gamers with the message "We need your help. Can't talk now. Don't know who to trust. Will send more tomorrow." See pics here. Is this a nascent viral marketing scheme, a bored GoW fanboy, or just CliffyB drunk on XBL? Whoever MFenix is, he doesn't game much. His gamerscore is zero with no games played and the motto "Offline...for now" (Too busy blasting Locust to cheese out Madden, I suppose). Several users in the Epic forums report receiving cryptic replies after contacting him. And, of course, the developers officially mum.
Why do viral marketing campaigns, real or imagined, inevitably promote games that are already hyped to hell?
- MISSING: Playstation 3 exclusives (11/19/2006)
- New Blue Dragon artwork scans (11/19/2006)
- Eat Pop-Tarts, get Xbox beanie hat (11/19/2006)
- Bungie, they aren't corporate... are they? (11/18/2006)
- Id says 360 is a gem to develop on (11/18/2006)