Daily news about MMOs, come read Massively

Test Drive Unlimited won't break the bank

Test Drive Unlimited will retail for $39.95 when it drops later this year. That's right, a brand new, shiny 360 game will cost you $39.95. Not only that, but more content including cars and music will be available in Marketplace shortly after the game's release, and the music, at least, will be free.

CEO and Chief Creative Officer of Atari, Bruno Bonnell, had this to say of the deal:

"Innovation should be available to everyone, not a privilege for those can afford high price tags, Our GamersFirst program demonstrated the positive impact of flexibility in pricing. We believe it is our mission to deliver triple-A games that are accessible to the masses. As such, we are offering Test Drive Unlimited - a game that is being positively touted and recognized by the media - for $39.95, and furthermore, will continue users' experiences past launch by featuring new cars and free music for download."

Let's hope this flexible pricing strategy will catch on with other developers as well.

Related Headlines

Reader Comments

(Page 1)

1. To me this has to be the most transparent strategy to get more than average retail (~$60) off consumers. Releasing it at $40 with several "premium" peices of content priced at $5-20 will top the game over the $60 mark.

Similar to Oblivion, this will end up putting out a game that comes out at $60 but ends up close to $100 to have the "full" or "exciting" experience. As well as filling up those precious 13 gigs of hard drive space with items that could have been on the disc in the first place given another month or two of dev time.

I'm all for extra content, but planning on it with costs is just troubling...

Posted at 2:10PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Josh

2. Here's a clue Josh, you don't have to purchase the extra content to enjoy the complete game, which ships for 40 bucks. Just like PGR3 the extra content is just that, extra content. It impacts your enjoyment of the retail game in no way and is a way to say thanks for helping make the game a success. The fact that some games charge for content is a pure business decision. You don't like it, don't buy it. The need to insinuate conspiracies where there are none though is tired and just points to you being a whiner. Again, if you don't like it, don't purcahse the extra content, plain and simple. :)

Posted at 2:24PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Phil

3. how much in the UK?

Posted at 2:55PM on Jul 20th 2006 by avinitski

4. I would have paid 60 bucks for it, but now its a no-brainer.. I for one, love the idea of extra downloadable content. I bought both car packs for PGR3 and they're definitely worth the money. It makes me wipe the dust off the game and re-play the game once more.. keeps me busy until the arrival of test drive unlimited in september and hopefully forza motorsport 2 for later this year..

Posted at 2:57PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Serge

5. I agree with #. I'm a diehard PGR3 player and didn't have to purchase the packs to enjoy the game fully.

Kudos to Atari! (no pun intended)

Posted at 3:16PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Abbas

6. I personally wasn't into this game that much due to the other numerous racers I have picked up over the past year. After reading this press release though, I will pick up this game whether I play it right away or not, if for no other reason than to show other developers that this kind of pricing is what gamers are looking for. We want high quality games at reasonable prices.

I also don't believe that they are doing this to get more money through downloads in the marketplace. As Phil stated, those purchases are optional and not required to enjoy the game. I think it shows great initiative on their part to offer downloads so soon and even to make some of those free. Look at it this way, if the game was $40 and there were no downloads... somewhere, someone would be complaining about the lack of future updates.

Posted at 3:18PM on Jul 20th 2006 by sintax

7. I thought the demo of this game looked pretty good when compared to other titles on the 360, I mean lets be serious what other games are blowing your mind graphically right now? GRAW, can't think of anything else...

If it has half way decent online play then I'm buying, I don't need any extra content if it includes 90 vehicles already, if they release other maps then I might be willing to pay...

How about some positive feedback for Atari releasing an affordable game...

Todd

Posted at 3:41PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Todd H.

8. I like this. If I feel I need more, I'll buy more content. I like the fact that I get to pick and choose what I get for $60 total value. Plus, spreading the cost out keeps me interested for longer. And if the game sucks, I only blew $40. Win all around.

Posted at 3:58PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Scott

9. "Innovation should be available to everyone, not a privilege for those can afford high price tags."
Amen. I hope more 360 publishers listen to this man.

Posted at 4:52PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Andrew Yoon

10. isnt that cheaper than table tennis?!

Posted at 5:51PM on Jul 20th 2006 by lazy

11. I agree that it's a very obvious PR ploy to release a game at a "bargain" price with content available immediately on marketplace. Just include it all in the game from the get-go.

Posted at 6:04PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Michael

12. But it's a PR ploy that benefits us. Would you prefer they released the game cheaper without ever offering extra content?

Posted at 6:09PM on Jul 20th 2006 by R. K

13. Its a geat idea for thos that dont need extra content. However with the demo i played on xbl during e3 i was extremely disappointed. I know it was a while ago so i am hopefully it still turns out good.

Posted at 6:40PM on Jul 20th 2006 by georgel

14. Well, that seals the deal for me. I am getting that game.

Posted at 6:58PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Ben

15. You don't need to download the extra content, and it's not like they're shipping an incomplete game. Who is going to buy the extra content if the game sucks in the first place? It's like if the xmen 360 game offered additional content, do you think anybody would buy it? By pricing the game reasonably, they're merely assuring a larger market for the bonus content.

Posted at 7:23PM on Jul 20th 2006 by pat

16. Isnt this game going to be ad-sponsored? Esp. the online portion of it.

Posted at 8:03PM on Jul 20th 2006 by You are wonderful

17. yes the game will have ingame advertising... billboards and stuff apparently last i heard...

Also what are you guys blind??? The monthly packs are supposedly going to be F R E E ... so lets see now free downloadable expansions is also too much for you? The reason they lowered the price is a nobel and a good one... they want people online playing... more people in the world = more people that can drive by that big billboard on the main road... and the more they can charge advertisers...

One thing is funny... the whole "cheaper so everyone can get to experience new technology" ... was that a diss at games that are at 60$ or at consoles at over 500$? ;)

Posted at 11:23PM on Jul 20th 2006 by Chris

18. Somehow this makes sence to me... Buy the game now with fewer cars to chooses from, but at a point where you should be learning to play the game properly, and not master your end game car per say.. As you advance through game, you may sooner or later reach a point where the game content runs out... But every month you get 6 new cars, there by prolong my injoyment of the game.

On top of that, the in game music now tends to stay fresher, for a longer time because you get a new radio station every month... Not a bad deal...

If the game is really good, it would definetly delay my purchase of anouther auto Racing game, (there by denying the Atari's compation my dollars as I continue to injoy there product.)

I wonder if they will be able to allow it to be rented under this system.

Posted at 2:50AM on Jul 21st 2006 by cheezedog420

19. Brilliant! That's like £25 or £30 retail price in the UK! I suppose it's a fantastic way for advertisers to get a huge worldwide audience at a cheap price.
I'll still be waiting for reviews for the game though as I have enough games already.
I imagine this game will be picked up at around £20/$30-$35 on ebay a short while after it's been released, which is even better!

Posted at 6:53AM on Jul 21st 2006 by Ciaran Gallagher

Check out all our Halo 3 beta news coverage
Bits
Cheats (9)
Console wars (216)
Contests and Giveaways (73)
Deals and Bargains (91)
Reviews (44)
Rumors (169)
Shipping this week (32)
Video Marketplace (31)
Videos (177)
Walkthroughs (3)
What are you playing? (44)
WMC (20)
Xbox Live (642)
Xbox Live Arcade (576)
Xbox Live Marketplace (653)
Titles
Amped 3 (6)
Assassin's Creed (29)
BioShock (71)
Burnout Revenge (8)
Call of Duty 2 (20)
Call of Duty 3 (10)
Command and Conquer 3 (25)
Condemned (15)
Crackdown (65)
Dead or Alive 4 (22)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (49)
Fable 2 (23)
FIFA Soccer 06 (5)
Fight Night Round 3 (5)
Final Fantasy XI (12)
Frame City Killer (2)
Full Auto (6)
Fuzion Frenzy 2 (9)
Gears of War (235)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (32)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (29)
Guitar Hero II (64)
GUN (4)
Halo 3 (548)
Kameo (14)
King Kong (8)
Lost Planet (29)
Madden NFL 06 (5)
Mass Effect (41)
NBA 2K6 (4)
NBA Live 06 (4)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (4)
NHL 2K6 (2)
Perfect Dark (18)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (24)
Quake 4 (6)
R* Games Presents: Table Tennis (9)
Ridge Racer 6 (7)
Rumble Roses XX (0)
Saints Row (10)
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (19)
Street Trace (7)
The Darkness (21)
The Godfather (2)
The Outfit (4)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 (3)
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (4)
Too Human (20)

SSFIITHDR (XBLA)
Battlestar Galactica (XBLA)
Halo 3
Braid (XBLA)
Halo 3 McFarlane Figures
Ecco the Dolphin (XBLA)
Pirates Vs. Ninjas Dodgeball (XBLA)
X3F Meetup 08/08/07